Facebook – Making You More Social, Less Personal?
There was a great article in the NY Times the other day about how some people are refusing to sign up for or are unsubscribing from Facebook, stating how “it’s a little unhealthy” and how they’re not “calling their friends anymore.” I wouldn’t go so far to say it’s unhealthy, but I do agree that Facebook has had two profound effects – making people much more social but at the same time much less personal.
As we all know, Facebook allows everyone to stay in touch with people they may not otherwise stay in touch with and wish people Happy Birthday when they otherwise would have never remembered. But it has also allowed users to think that someone typing “Happy Birthday Dude!” is a personal birthday greeting. I’m totally guilty of this but don’t feel too good about doing it (I bet I see way fewer “Happy Birthdays” on Facebook when June 9th rolls around.) Back in the day, giving the birthday guy or girl a physical birthday card, making a phone call or even sending an email was the way to go. Now it’s just typing a few letters in the upper right corner of a website.
Has Facebook changed the way you behave toward your friends and made you more social but less personal? Let me know what you think. Feel free to comment here, tweet me @mikewchan, or post to my Facebook page, but if you want to really talk about it, maybe you should call me.
Chan’s Recent Posts
- Guest Blog Post on ThornTech.com – The Week in Technology: The Week in Technology: Amazon’s flying deliveries, Google’s cloud, Apple’s purchase, and more
- Guest Blog Post on ThornTech.com – The Week in Technology: Black Friday is here, Katie Couric to Yahoo!, and more problems with Obamacare
- Guest Blog Post on ThornTech.com – The Ultimate Mobile App for…Sports
- Guest Blog Post on ThornTech.com – The Week in Technology: No more Nokia phones, Bitcoin rides its roller coaster to DC, and more
- Guest blog post for CEA: Recap of Startup Weekend DC
- #Mobile helps close the loop for retailers ow.ly/rDqju Mobile Presents Great Potential For ROI Tracking #mobilecommerce 3 hours ago
- The continuing evolution of the #mobile business app ecosystem ow.ly/rAxCR #mobileenterprise 1 day ago
- I'm cleaning up my twitter using justunfollow.com. good stuff 2 days ago
- Check out my new post for @ThornTech - ow.ly/rwrQm The Week in #Tech: Amazon's drones, Google's cloud, Apple's buy, more 4 days ago
- Naps are awesome and productive! ow.ly/rwtO2 Brian Halligan, Chief of HubSpot, on the Value of Naps #startups 4 days ago