Facebook – Making You More Social, Less Personal?
There was a great article in the NY Times the other day about how some people are refusing to sign up for or are unsubscribing from Facebook, stating how “it’s a little unhealthy” and how they’re not “calling their friends anymore.” I wouldn’t go so far to say it’s unhealthy, but I do agree that Facebook has had two profound effects – making people much more social but at the same time much less personal.
As we all know, Facebook allows everyone to stay in touch with people they may not otherwise stay in touch with and wish people Happy Birthday when they otherwise would have never remembered. But it has also allowed users to think that someone typing “Happy Birthday Dude!” is a personal birthday greeting. I’m totally guilty of this but don’t feel too good about doing it (I bet I see way fewer “Happy Birthdays” on Facebook when June 9th rolls around.) Back in the day, giving the birthday guy or girl a physical birthday card, making a phone call or even sending an email was the way to go. Now it’s just typing a few letters in the upper right corner of a website.
Has Facebook changed the way you behave toward your friends and made you more social but less personal? Let me know what you think. Feel free to comment here, tweet me @mikewchan, or post to my Facebook page, but if you want to really talk about it, maybe you should call me. ;)
Chan’s Recent Posts
- Guest Blog Post on ThornTech.com – The Week in Tech: Yahoo buys Flurry, Facebook launches Save and Buy button, Foursquare rebrands, and more
- Runnin’ Because I Hate Cancer – Please Donate!
- Guest Blog Post on ThornTech.com – The Week in Tech: IBM and Apple cut enterprise deal, layoffs at Microsoft, and more
- Guest blog post for CEA: How to Validate Your Startup Idea with Online Ads
- Guest Blog Post on ThornTech.com – The Week in Tech: Changes at Microsoft, Amazon sued for in-app purchases, potato salad Kickstarter and more
- When to use push notifications versus #SMS messaging buff.ly/1pLv0i8 #mobile #marketing 19 hours ago
- I lived in a 400 sq. ft. 2BR in NYC. This would be an upgrade, kinda! @DannyBoice: Crystal city win fb.me/6LIaJolJr 1 day ago
- No doubt. Location-based, relevant push notifications will reign this holiday season ow.ly/zsC5p #mobile #LBS 2 days ago
- #Mobile doesn't always mean "on the go." The home advantage: Mobile’s use throughout the day grows buff.ly/1qWV76A 3 days ago
- @alexnlevin huh? I think you have the wrong person; I’ve never been to ur restaurant. But I’d like to go one day! 4 days ago