Facebook – Making You More Social, Less Personal?
There was a great article in the NY Times the other day about how some people are refusing to sign up for or are unsubscribing from Facebook, stating how “it’s a little unhealthy” and how they’re not “calling their friends anymore.” I wouldn’t go so far to say it’s unhealthy, but I do agree that Facebook has had two profound effects – making people much more social but at the same time much less personal.
As we all know, Facebook allows everyone to stay in touch with people they may not otherwise stay in touch with and wish people Happy Birthday when they otherwise would have never remembered. But it has also allowed users to think that someone typing “Happy Birthday Dude!” is a personal birthday greeting. I’m totally guilty of this but don’t feel too good about doing it (I bet I see way fewer “Happy Birthdays” on Facebook when June 9th rolls around.) Back in the day, giving the birthday guy or girl a physical birthday card, making a phone call or even sending an email was the way to go. Now it’s just typing a few letters in the upper right corner of a website.
Has Facebook changed the way you behave toward your friends and made you more social but less personal? Let me know what you think. Feel free to comment here, tweet me @mikewchan, or post to my Facebook page, but if you want to really talk about it, maybe you should call me. ;)
Chan’s Recent Posts
- Lessons I Learned From Messing Up My Breakfast Omelette
- Guest Blog Post on ThornTech.com – Uber launches UberRUSH, Heartbleed plagues servers, Apple shakes things up, and more
- Guest blog post for CEA: How 100 Hackers, Hustlers and Designers Launched Companies in 54 Hours
- Guest Post for ThornTech.com – The Ultimate Mobile App for…First Responders
- Guest Blog Post on ThornTech.com – The Week in Tech: Mozilla’s CEO resigns, Amazon Fire TV launches, the US built a Cuban Twitter, and more
- It definitely helps. Is Coding the Next Must-Have Skill of the Modern Marketer? buff.ly/1eNIZ6Z #marketing 5 hours ago
- Didn't R. Kelly say that? :) RT @40billion: SAY OF THE DAY: "If you can dream it, you can do it." -Walt Disney 40billion.com/post/5975 1 day ago
- Inevitable. Online #Ad Revenues Blow Past Broadcast TV, Thanks To #Mobile And #Video buff.ly/1qJbCnt 1 day ago
- Big growth coming. Location-Based #Mobile Ads To Reach $4.5 Billion This Year buff.ly/1hF6VZq #LBS 2 days ago
- New post on buff.ly/1nmZTJm - #Lessons I Learned From Messing Up My Breakfast Omelette buff.ly/1nmZSoF #life 2 days ago